I follow a LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) or ketogenic
Paleo diet. I have taken pieces of other
diets that worked for me and made my own.
Here is the cheat sheet:
- Eat less than 30g of carbohydrates a day. Spread
the carbohydrates out over the day's meals.
- Eat enough protein
for my body size. For me that works out to 100g.
- Never Eat:
- Grains (e.g. flour, bread, rice, pasta)
- Rarely Eat:
- Starchy Vegetables (e.g. potatoes, yams, squash)
- Legumes (e.g. kidney beans, garbanzo beans, chickpeas) except
- Fruit. It contains lots of carbs and fructose can be bad for you
(especially if you have metabolic or liver problems)
- Eat healthy fats* meat, eggs, dairy, nuts and green vegetables.
* For me "Healthy Fats" are saturated and monounsaturated. I
avoid PUFAs or polyunsaturated fatty acids. So that means I get my fat from
animal products (like the fat in meat and eggs) and from coconut oil. I use
olive oil for salad dressings but never for cooking.
Sometimes it's hard to picture what foods goes with
a diet, so here are some sample meals and a
food list to give you ideas. Plus I have some
recipes that work well for the "uninspired"
or busy chef.