Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber
Low-carb / LCHF / Ketogenic / Paleo* pot roast with a delicious sauce.
- 2 lbs of chuck or pot roast. Pick one that's well marbled, bonus points for grass-fed.
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 8 tbsp butter or ghee. Again bonus points for pastured butter (e.g. Kerrygold).
* I know butter isn't strictly paleo but I've found that many "paleo peeps" still enjoy butter or opt for ghee instead.
- Preheat the oven to 200 F and heat up a dutch oven on the stove on high.
- Sprinkle your spices on both sides of the roast. I don't really measure and focus on getting a light coating.
- Put the roast in the dutch oven and sear both sides. Just peak under the steak and wait until it's starting to brown before flipping over.
- Cook in oven for 3-4 hours. I flipped mine over 1/2 way through so that boths sides had some time on the bottom with the juices.
- When the roast could be pulled apart with a fork, it's done! Put the roast on a cutting board and set aside for the moment.
- Put the dutch oven on the stove again on high heat and boil it for a few minutes to reduce the drippings. While it's boiling, shred or slice your roast and put it into a container.
- Turn off the heat and add the butter. Stir until it is melted and then pour over your roast.
Slow Cooker Style
The slow cooker will take longer but that's perfect for when I'll be out all day. If you are feeling fancy, sear your roast on the stove before putting it in the slow cooker. Set your cooker to LOW for 6 hours. The rest of the steps are the same as above.